Physiotherapists are highly trained healthcare professionals, registered with the Healthcare Professions Council. There is a world of difference between a decent, experienced physiotherapist and, for example, a sports masseur or a personal trainer. In Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, we work very closely indeed with our physiotherapy colleagues, and their role can encompass any number of the following:-
- clinical diagnosis of musculoskeletal complaints
- biomechanical assessment and postural correction
- general exercise advice and specific advice about running styles, gait patterns sports technique etc
- education and physical preparation of patients prior to surgery (‘prehab’)
- post-operative care and rehabilitation
Not all physiotherapists are the same, and it is extremely important to ensure that the physio that you see has the right experience and expertise for your personal needs.
CLICK HERE for a list of our recommended physiotherapy partners.